CNC Machining & Assembly of Titanium and Stainless Steel Engine Mounts
(click on thumbnail to enlarge)
13-8 MO stainless steel components machined and ready for penetrant inspection and surface treatment.
Components for Aft Thrust Mount assemblies ready for final assembly. Material is 6Al-4V Ti and 13-8 MO stainless steel.
Components for Aft Side Link assemblies ready for final assembly. Material is 13-8 MO stainless steel.
Components for Fwd Side Link assemblies ready for final assembly. Material is 13-8 MO stainless steel.
Completed JSF BF-1 engine mount hardware ready for install.
BF-1 F-35 Joint Strike Fighter roll out on schedule!
When Lockheed Martin procurement and manufacturing fell out of sync they turned to Lx3 Corporation to meet critical deadline. With BF-1 roll out to Marine Corps just weeks away, Lx3 was given task to expedite manufacture of required components. These components included Aft Thrust Mount Clamp assemblies, Aft Side Link Assembly and Fwd Side Link Assembly. These assemblies were required install engine into the very first STOVL (Short Takeoff Vertical Landing) F-35 to be manufactured.
Materials used were 6Al-4V Titanium and 13-8 MO PH Stainless steels with all inspections and coatings applied to flight critical specifications. Lx3 performed all machining and assembly operations in house and coordinated outsourcing of all additional required processes.
Completing all assemblies on schedule and fulfilling all specified LMA, AMS, and AS standards as indicated in our customer supplied drawings, LX3 exceeded our client's high expectations for service and quality. We even received the "Outstanding Manufacturing Support for JSF Program" award for a job well-done!
CNC Machining & Assembly of Engine Mounts Project Highlights
|Product Description||Engine Mount Assemblies for BF-1 F-35 STOVL (Short Takeoff Vertical Landing) Application|
Thread Rolling Per AS8879
- 4Al-6V Titanium Beta Annealed Per AMS-H-81200A & LMA-M5004B. 3
- Included Micro, Tensile and Fracture Testing of Material
- 13-8 MO Stainless Steel Heat Treated to H1000 Per AMS 5629D
- Included Tensile Testing of Material
- 6Al-4V Ti - Penetrant Inspect, Conversion Coating and Solid Film Lube
- 13-8 MO CRES - Solid Film Lube and Coatings as Indicated
- Nitronic 60 bushings installed in CRES Links and Swing Bolts Per LMA-PB033
- Bushing ID's Machined to Required Tolerance.
- CRES Pins Installed in Clamp Assemblies Per LMA-PB033 Shrink Fit Method
- Pins Swaged Per LMA-PB023.
- Spherical Bearings Installed and Swaged in FWD Side Link Assy.
|Tightest Tolerances||+/- 0.0002 |
|Material Used||6Al-4V Titanium|
13-8 MO PH Stainless Steel
|Aft Thrust Mount Clamp Assemblies|
Aft Side Link Assembly
|Forward Side Link Assembly |
|In process testing performed|
|Dimensional Inspection |
|Precision Measuring Instruments |
|Turn Around Time||4 week expedited service |
|Industry for Use||Military |
|Delivery Location||Lockheed Martin Aeronautics - Fort Worth, Texas |
|Standards Met||Customer supplied print, 2D Auto CAD Drawing|
All Specified LMA, AMS and AS Standards as Indicated in Customer Supplied Drawings
|Product Name||F-35 Engine Mounts |
back to top